There are so many questions people ask on how to start a small scale poultry farm business. If you are wondering how? then you are not alone. This article would give you an insight on how to start the business and how you can grow it successfully.
Poultry is a very viable and lucrative business. It can be a risky business suddenly, especially when you are not concerned about poultry feed management. Poultry birds require energy. In order to obtain desire growth rate, you must have to purchase and provide highly nutritious poultry feed. It is an established business, so all types of necessary facilities are available.
Steps To Take When Starting A Small Scale Poultry Farm.
A. SELECT YOUR POULTRY NICHE
Poultry industry is a very broad niche with different aspects. Below are niches in the poultry business;
- Egg productions (Layers breeding)
- Meat production (Broilers breeding)
- Chicken breeding (Hatchery)
- Poultry feed production
- Poultry equipment and manufacturing
- Egg and meat processing, packaging and marketing
- Poultry farming and consultancy
This is to tell you poultry farming has a very broad branch. Therefore, you have to choose your area of specialization. Of course, if you have the money and the technical know of the business you can do all, but it is better to find out which aspect is more profitable in your area in terms of demand and income.
B. CAPITAL REQUIREMENT
A small scale poultry that is set up on a piece of land behind your house may require a capital of
N150, 000-N300, 000 to start with.
C. FARM LOCATION
The major thing to acquire before starting a poultry farm is a suitable piece of land. Generally, a plot of 120*60 square meters is suitable for a medium sized poultry farm. The size of land depend on the number of birds you want to raise and the farming system. Acquire the land from far towns and big cities. It’s advisable to buy a land in the rural area. Because lands and labor are highly available in cheaper rate. Select a fresh environment and pollution free area.
Establishing a poultry farm in a rented land is absolutely a bad idea. However, while selecting land, keep in mind some important facilities like great source of water, free from all types of animals and predators, a market near the farm, proper transportation facilities, e.t.c.
Housing system depends on your poultry breeds and farming method. Below are few tips to use while building suitable houses for your poultry birds.
- The poultry house has to be well ventilated. Well ventilation keeps the bird healthy and productive.
- Make a suitable system for entrancing sufficient amount of fresh air and light inside the house.
- Try and make the house north to south faced.
- In the case of making numerous houses, the distance between one house to another house should be about 40 feet.
- Before bringing the chick into the farm, clean the house and the entire farm area properly.
- Make deep liter clean regularly.
- You can use some cheap materials like wooden material or rice ban for making liter.
- Keep the feeding and watering equipment in proper distance from each other according to the number of birds and farming system. And always clean all types of equipment every day.
- The house must have all required facilities for poultry birds.
The housing system commonly used in poultry farming are;
- Extensive System: range and fold unit
- Semi intensive system: Standard semi intensive unit and straw yard
- Intensive System: 1. Deep liter, 2. wire and slated floor, 3. battery cage 4. straw yard.
Good and high quality of food keeps the birds healthy and highly productive. Good quality fresh and nutritious food is the key success in poultry farming business. It’s advisable to provide adequate amount of food according to the age and number of poultry birds. Along with feeding good food, always supply sufficient amount of clean water according to the daily demands of the birds.
Staffing And Man power is not labor intensive if the use of technology is employed. Being a small scale poultry you don’t need so many staff, what you need is a manager and accountant. Either way, your manager can also assume the duty of the accountant too in order to save cost. This individual oversees the day to day running of the business.